|Old Fashioned Lentil Soup|| |
Soup, the perfect comfort food! I love soup in the winter, do you? Not only does it warm you up but it's so filling. Old Fashioned Lentil Soup is an old classic that will never go out of style. Not only is it delicious but it is very healthy for you as it's loaded with vegetables and lentils that are filled with fiber. To see how I made it, keep reading!
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large non stick Dutch oven over medium-low heat saute the onions, garlic, celery and carrots until soft, stirring occasionally until the onions are transparent, about 5-8 minutes. Add the tomatoes and the salt and pepper.
- Add in the lentils and the broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook until the lentils are soft, about 45 minutes. You may need to add more broth as the soup gets thicker as it cooks. Enjoy!