I was thinking about what to make with skinless boneless chicken cutlets that I had in the freezer. I usually make them with bread crumbs and bake them but that’s rather boring and I wanted something interesting and flavorful. So I started to think what I could do. I decided on Arroz con Pollo. This one is really easy and so delicious. Every Latin household has their own twist on the dish. I am not Latin but I love cooking it and eating it. What you will find in most Latin dishes is something called a Sofrito. Sofrito consists of green and red peppers, onions, chopped fresh or canned tomatoes and garlic sautéed with extra virgin olive oil. Every country has their own version of Sofrito, and the one I make is similar to the ones that are used in Cuban cuisine. It’s a really easy dish and can be made for either a weeknight or weekend. Another great thing about this dish is that it all goes in one pot so you will have an easy clean up! To see how I made my Easy Arroz con Pollo, keep reading.
|Arroz con Pollo|| |
- 1 ½ lbs. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 (14 oz) can of chopped/diced tomatoes
- 6 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup large green pimento stuffed olives, cut in half
- 2 tbsp. capers
- 1 pkg. Sazon with Annatto
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. Italian parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste (you don’t want too much salt because the Sazon, olives and capers will be salty)
- In a large nonstick Dutch oven add about 3 tbsp. of the olive oil and saute the chicken until golden and no longer pink, about 6 or 7 minutes. When done, remove chicken and set aside.
- Add the rest of the olive oil and when hot, add the peppers, onions and garlic, salt and pepper. Stir and cook over medium low heat until the vegetables are soft, about 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the tomatoes and stir to combine. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir, and then add in the broth. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cover the pot. Cook for about 15-20 minutes until the liquid is absorbed. Add in the package of Sazon, capers and olives and mix well. Add the chicken pieces back into the mixture, stir to combine. Cover and simmer for about a minute or two until the chicken is warmed. Garnish with parsley. Serve and Enjoy!