On a cold winter’s night everyone could always go for a nice big bowl of soup. This Bean, Barley and Spinach soup is not only hearty and filling but so very healthy too! It’s packed with lots of fiber which is perfect for anyone wanting to eat healthy. It also has a lot of flavor. Pair this with a nice salad or some large crusty bread, and you have got a great meal. To see how I made it, keep reading!
- 1 tbsp. olive or vegetable oil
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can of diced/chopped tomatoes
- 1 (10 oz) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- ¼ cup barley
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large non stick Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium high heat and sauté the celery, onions and carrots until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add in the broth, beans, barley and tomatoes. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 30-40 minutes, until barley is tender.
- Add the spinach to the soup and stir. Taste and re-season with salt and pepper, if necessary. Enjoy!