Kugels are a big part of Jewish foods for all the holidays. Some are sweet and some are savory like this Broccoli Kugel. If it’s Passover, kugels cannot be made with any sort of flour or leavening agent and can only be made with Passover matzo meal. This kugel, however, is totally flourless and just made with 6 ingredients, so it’s a definite quick and easy dish. This would make an amazing side dish for your fast weeknight dinners because everything is basically put into a bowl, mixed together and baked. Hey, it can’t be easier than that!! So, to see how I made this Broccoli Kugel, keep on reading!
- 1 (2lb bag) frozen, chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1 cup fat free mayonnaise (you can use light or regular, if you prefer)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Pinch of cayenne (optional)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 inch round pie plate with non stick cooking spray.
- To a large glass bowl add the thawed broccoli, mayonnaise, eggs, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, if using and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the pie plate and bake for about an hour to an hour and a half until the kugel is golden brown. After an hour stick a toothpick in the center and if it comes out clean, it is done! Enjoy!
Original recipe adapted from Joy of Kosher