Weeknights can be a real struggle to get dinner on the table! I know, I have been there. Always wondering what to make that will not only be tasty and delicious, but quick and easy as well. My Easy Rice Pilaf is a stress free side dish that my family loves and I know your family will love it too. It turns out perfect every time I make it. It’s so much better than the kind you get in the box and much healthier too. The boxed type has so much salt, but with mine you can definitely control how much goes into it. Although, I do recommend adding a little as the rice can be bland without it. If you are using the chicken broth instead of water, less salt will be needed. This recipe calls for sautéed onions which can definitely be made ahead of time and you can even freeze them. On the day that you make the Easy Rice Pilaf, just thaw the onions out in the morning. I use frozen vegetables which is another great way to save time. You can basically use any type of frozen vegetables that you like, but my favorite are the peas and carrots, as they are so colorful, and my motto is “Eat Foods with Lots of Colors”. I also add Turmeric to give it a really nice color. To get the bright yellow color in my rice, you will need to use about 2 tablespoons, but feel free to use less or more depending upon the color you want. A great main dish to go along with my Easy Rice Pilaf are my Mediterranean Chicken Thighs.
I hope you make this really easy side dish and let me know in the comments below how you like it. So without further ado, here is the recipe for my Easy Rice Pilaf.
- 1 ½ cups long grain rice
- 3 1/3 cups water or chicken broth
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 2 tbsp. ground Turmeric
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp. pepper, or to taste
- In a nonstick skillet add the oil and sauté onions until dark golden brown, about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once done, set aside. This can be made in advance.
- Make rice according to package directions. When the rice is done add the thawed peas and carrots, sautéed onions, turmeric, salt and pepper. Mix well and serve. Enjoy!