Bring Chinese takeout in with my Easy Shrimp Fried Rice recipe. It’s quick cooking, and is ready in about 25 minutes. It’s also healthier than takeout and doesn’t have nearly as much fat as from a regular Chinese restaurant.
I use frozen peas and carrots, fresh garlic and onions, but you can certainly use any veggies that you have on hand, like mushrooms, broccoli or even string beans. The veggie possibilities are endless!
Another way to keep this dish easy is to use peeled and deveined frozen shrimp that comes in a bag. Just thaw it out and you are good to go!
To give it that wonderful Chinese flavor, I use fresh garlic, ginger and scallions, which can all be chopped ahead of time. You can even cook the rice the day before, if you want. The shrimp will only take about 5 minutes to cook, so this is perfect for a weeknight meal. When I served this Easy Shrimp Fried Rice to my family, they absolutely loved it and said it’s definitely better than takeout! If you are a fan of healthy homemade Chinese food, you will definitely love it as well. To see how I make my Easy Shrimp Fried Rice, keep on reading!
- 2 tbsp. light olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 lbs. extra large shrimp
- 4 eggs scrambled and broken up into bite size pieces (I made this ahead of time)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots, not thawed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 scallions, sliced thinly
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 4 tbsp. lite soy sauce
- 4 cups cooked white or brown rice (I made this a few hours in advance)
- Heat your pan over medium heat and when hot add your oils and then add the shrimp. Cook for about 5-6 minutes, turning after a minute or two until the shrimps are pink and done. Don't overcook. Remove the shrimp from the pan and set aside.
- Add the chopped onions and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until they are transparent. Add the garlic and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Add in the frozen peas and carrots and ginger and cook until the vegetables have thawed out, approximately 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To the pot add the shrimp, rice and scrambled eggs, scallions and soy sauce. Mix well until combined. Cook for another 2 minutes until heated through.