|Eggplant Stackers|| |
Do you love eggplant? I absolutely love it!! I think it's probably my most favorite vegetable. Eggplant is so versatile and can be cooked many ways; baked, broiled, fried, steamed. I wouldn't want to eat it raw though as it can be very bitter. It's very low in calories with only 20 calories per cup. It's also very low in carbs and high in potassium so eat lots and lots of it!!In the UK and Europe, eggplants are called Aubergine. The recipe that I am going to give you today involves baking the eggplant slices and also includes tomatoes and some low fat mozzarella cheese. It's really easy to make and as you can see from the picture, it makes a really nice presentation so it's a great dish for guests. You can assemble it in advance and just bake it when you are ready to serve. To see how I made my Eggplant Stackers, keep reading.
- 3 medium eggplants sliced in ¼ inch slices
- 3 medium-large tomatoes, sliced in ¼ inch slices
- 1 (24 oz) jar of your favorite Marinara sauce
- 8 oz shredded low fat mozzarella cheese
- olive oil cooking spray
- Italian parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a large oven proof pan with lots of cooking spray and lay the eggplant slices over it. Then spray the tops of the eggplant with more of the spray and bake for about 15-20 minutes until the eggplant is soft. Turning halfway through and spray with more cooking spray. When the slices are soft remove from the oven and let cool a bit.
- When cooled, spoon a bit of the sauce over each slice, add some of the mozzarella cheese and top with a tomato slice, some more of the mozzarella cheese and then another layer of the eggplant, sauce and cheese. So your layers will be as follows: eggplant slice, sauce, cheese, tomato slice, eggplant slice, sauce and cheese.
- Bake in the oven for another 10-15 minutes. You want the cheese to melt and become slightly browned and the tomatoes to become soft. Garnish with parsley. Enjoy!