This quiche is so easy to make and perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner, a snack or to even take to get togethers as it would make a perfect appetizer for a party. As a matter of fact, I will be taking it to a friend’s house this weekend when they have their annual summer pool party! I have brought it to other parties as well and it always gets gobbled up really fast. You can basically use any vegetables that you want, but I chose leeks and mushrooms. They also freeze extremely well. So to see how I make my Leek and Mushroom Quiche, keep reading!
|Leek and Mushroom Quiche|| |
- 1 (9-inch) pie shell
- ¼ C. butter
- 1 C. thinly sliced leeks, white bottoms only
- ½ lb. fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 C. grated cheddar cheese (you can also use Swiss cheese)
- 3 eggs
- 1½ C. evaporated milk or half and-half
- ½ t. salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Prepare pie shell. Place in pie pan and prick bottom and sides with tines of a
- fork. Bake at 450°F. for 4 to 5 minutes or just until it begins to brown. Remove
- from oven and set aside to cool.
- In skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Sauté the leeks until tender. Place
- cooked leeks in plate and set aside while you sauté mushrooms.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter and sauté mushrooms, over medium-high heat,
- until they are cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle half of the grated cheese over bottom of pie shell. Add leeks and
- mushrooms and remaining cheese.
- In separate bowl, beat eggs, then add evaporated milk or half-and-half, salt and
- peppers. Slowly pour over vegetables and cheese. You will have a lot of the egg and milk mixture left over. You can probably make 2 quiches with it.
- Bake at 325°F. for 30-35 minutes or until center appears to be set and top is browned.