The autumn is not only my favorite time of year because of all the colors, my cozy sweaters and my boots, but it’s also the start of soup weather and I absolutely love soup! Soups will definitely warm the soul! I love all types of soups and one of my favorites is Lentil Soup which I posted on here about a year ago. You can find it over here. Since sweet potatoes are such a staple of autumn, I thought it would be great to add some of it in to the soup not only to give it some extra flavor, but for thickness and texture as well. So I came up with Lentil Sweet Potato Soup. You may find when you are cooking it, or after it stands for a while that it will get really thick. Just add some more chicken or vegetable broth and you will be good to go. This soup is really easy to make and freezes very well too, so why not make a double batch! It’s also a perfect vegetarian dish when made with vegetable broth. To see how I make my Lentil Sweet Potato Soup, keep on reading!
|Lentil Sweet Potato Soup|| |
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1½ cups dried lentils
- 2-3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- ½ tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large non stick Dutch oven over medium-low heat sauté the onions, garlic, celery and carrots in the oil until soft, stirring occasionally until the onions are transparent, about 5-8 minutes. Add the tomatoes and the salt and pepper.
- Add in the lentils, sweet potatoes, and the broth, bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook partially covered until the lentils and sweet potatoes are soft, about 45 minutes. Stirring occasionally. You may need to add more broth as the soup gets thicker as it cooks. About 10 to 15 minutes before the soup is finished, add in the rosemary and parsley. Garnish with extra herbs, if desired. Serve and enjoy!