Kebabs are a big part of Middle Eastern cuisine and you can find them in any country in that part of the world. Each country has their own version of making them. The authentic way is making them with metal skewers over open coals. Kebabs are traditionally made with lamb but since I don’t like lamb, I made mine with chicken. You can also make them with beef. My version are made with ground chicken but most types are made with chunks of chicken or meat.
These are also very kid friendly because what kid doesn’t like eating foods on a stick. For your younger kids you can use Popsicle sticks so they don’t poke themselves.
In Middle Eastern cuisine the spices that are used are wonderful and will compliment any dish. Some of the spices used are turmeric, cumin cinnamon, coriander and nutmeg. The combination of spices in these kebabs will leave you craving more! I served these kebabs with a side dish of rice and also my Sharazi Salad which can be found over here.
To see how I made the delicious Middle Eastern Chicken Kebabs, keep on reading!
|Middle Eastern Chicken Kebabs|| |
- 1 ½ lbs. ground chicken
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- ¼ cup Italian parsley, chopped finely
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground allspice
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Wooden or metal skewers
- If you are using wooden skewers, soak them for about a half hour in water so they don’t burn when you put them on the grill.
- Into a large mixing bowl add the chicken, garlic, seasonings, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix well. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for about 2 hours. You want the flavors to meld together and also when cold, it will be easier to shape the meat mixture.
- Now you want to shape your meat into meatballs and then place onto the skewer and flatten them out a bit. Be very careful as this part is tricky. Shape it into a log shaped kebab. Repeat with the remaining mixture. I put 3 to a skewer.
- Once all the kebabs are on the skewers, put back into the refrigerator for an hour.
- Preheat grill to medium and gently place skewers on the cooking surface of the grill being very careful not to break up the meat. Cook for about 6 minutes per side. When done, again, carefully remove and serve. Enjoy!