Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended. While clicking these links won’t cost you any extra money. Please check out our disclosure policy for more details.
Most of the time when we think of bread puddings, we think of a sweet type of dessert that’s rich and delicious. During my travels in cyberspace I have seen savory bread puddings and I thought, well why not! They would make a perfect side dish or something for breakfast. After all, there is bread, cheese, eggs and veggies; a perfect breakfast! I didn’t have mine for breakfast though, I made it as a side dish and my family absolutely loved it that there were no leftovers. Too bad because I wanted to have some for lunch today….LOL!!! My Savory Vegetable Bread Pudding is not only delicious but so easy to make. Everything gets mixed into a large bowl and then poured into a baking dish. What could be easier than that?
For those of you who love cheese, this dish is definitely for you as there is a lot of cheese in here. I made mine with a mix of cheddar and mozzarella but you can basically use any type of shredded cheese that you want. I’m thinking Jalepeno Monterey Jack cheese would work really well too! As for the vegetables, I used peppers, zucchini and onions but you can use any combination that you want. Broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, peas, would work really great too. The possibilities are endless. Just experiment and see what you come up with. This is also a great way for all you moms and dads to get your kids to eat their veggies!! Another great idea would be to cut them in little squares, stick toothpicks in them and serve them as appetizers at your next party.
So to see how I make my Savory Vegetable Bread Pudding, keep on reading!!
Here is what it looks like before it’s cooked in the mixing bowl.
This is in the pan uncooked
|Savory Vegetable Bread Pudding|| |
- 3 cups bread cut into cubes (I used Portuguese bread but you can use any type of hearty bread)
- 4 cups cooked assorted vegetables cut into small pieces (peppers, zucchini, squash, onions, mushrooms, etc)
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups shredded cheddar and/or mozzarella cheese or any other type of your choice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. dried dill
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large rectangular baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the eggs, milk and seasonings. Whisk until combined. Add in the bread, vegetables and ¾ of the cheese. Mix well.
- Pour into the baking dish and add the rest of the cheese and sprinkle some more of the seasonings on top.
- Cook for about an hour or or until golden brown. Serve and enjoy!