|Stuffed Shells with Spinach|| |
Stuffed Shells with Spinach is a definite comfort food! The ooey gooey delicious cheese, the soft pasta shells, the tangy tomato sauce and the spinach which is a great way to get your kids to eat their veggies!! I made this for my family the other night and they absolutely loved it. They gobbled it up and couldn't get enough. It's really so simple to make and doesn't take a lot of time at all. You can make it at home for a lot less than if you were to eat it out in a restaurant. This recipe freezes really well as you can either freeze it before you bake it or after. Make a double batch and have it for another night. Just put it in a freezer safe tray and cover it with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. To see how it's made, keep reading!
- 1 (12 oz) box of jumbo pasta shells, cooked according to package directions and drain. Lay out the shells on a sheet of aluminum foil.
- 2 (26 oz) jar of your favorite marinara sauce (you will have sauce leftover)
- 1 (10 oz) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and the water squeezed out
- 1 (15 oz) container of part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 (16 oz) bag of shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh Italian parsley, plus a little more for garnish
- ⅛ tsp. grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large glass bowl combine the spinach, ricotta cheese, half of the mozzarella cheese, egg, parsley, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Layer the bottom of an on ovenproof dish with about a cup of the sauce.
- When the shells are cool enough to handle stuff each one with about a tablespoon or two of the cheese mixture and lay it at the bottom of the pan. Pour more sauce over the shells and sprinkle with the rest of the mozzarella cheese. You might need to use two pans depending upon the size.
- Bake covered with foil for about 30 minutes. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, uncover the pan so the cheese can get a little brown. Garnish with parsley and serve. Enjoy!