I’m sorry that it seems like I have been MIA. I have been working on a few things and have unfortunately been sick for a while with one of the winter bugs. Thankfully, I am much better now. Some of the things that are in the works are being interviewed and videoed by The NY Daily News. I was contacted by one of their journalists, asking if I would be interested in doing a video and interview about recipes handed down from generation to generation. I jumped at the chance and the shoot was on February 10th. I made my Quick and Easy Meatball recipe which can be found here. As soon as I get the link to the video and the issue that the article and still photos will be in, I post the links. What an exciting adventure that was!
So today’s recipe is just a quick twist on an old favorite, Turkey Kale Chili. The original recipe for my Turkey Chili can be found over here. Since I love fresh veggies, I thought that it would be a great idea to incorporate some fresh kale into the chili. Kale contains so many good nutrients. Per one cup serving, there are, 4.3g of protein, 491mg of Potassium, and 2g of dietary fiber. So if you want to get your kids, or anyone else that you are cooking for to eat more veggies, make them my Turkey Kale Chili recipe. Trust me, they will love it!! This is the perfect comfort food to keep you warm on a cold winter’s day. As I am writing this, the temperature here in NY City is a whopping 15 degrees! We have had such a cold winter that I am so ready for spring!
To see how I make my Turkey Kale Chili, keep on reading!
|Turkey Kale Chili|
- 20 oz lean ground turkey breast
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green or red bell pepper, diced
- 2 (15 oz cans) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (8 oz cans) tomato sauce
- 2 (15 oz cans) cannellini/kidney beans or a combination of both, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups fresh kale, chopped, large stems removed
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese, scallions and sour cream for garnish
- In a large non stick Dutch oven over medium low heat sauté the vegetables in the oil until they are semi-soft, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the ground turkey and break up the pieces. Add in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans and all the seasonings and stir to combine. Cover and cook over low heat for about 45 minutes until done, stirring occasionally. Add the kale after about 20 minutes or so. Top with the shredded cheese, scallions and sour cream. Serve and enjoy!